5 refreshing Bible verses
Cyprus has not had as much rain this winter as others in the past, yet spring showers can still fall somewhat unexpectedly. How refreshing, particularly after days of high dust levels from African winds! The Bible uses the imagery of spring rain to teach us notable principles.
1. Let my teaching drop as the rain, My speech distill as the dew, as raindrops on the tender herb, and as showers on the grass.
God desires us to be energized by His teaching and words in the same way the grass is revived by showers of rain. His Word imparts life to those who open their hearts as fertile soil for spiritual seeds. How receptive are we to God's living Word?
On several occasions, the Lord added to the end of His parables the phrase, 'He who has ears to hear, let him hear!' In other words, 'Pay special attention to My teaching!' We hear much around us, but do we filter out the background noise and really listen? Let his Word rain down on our souls and revive us!
2. Let us know; let us press on to know the LORD; his going out is sure as the dawn; he will come to us as the showers, as the spring rains that water the earth.
Hosea 6:3 (ESV)
A personal relationship with God is through faith in His Son; He has opened the way to Himself through the atoning death of Christ on the cross and invites all to accept His salvation.
Just as the rain comes to parched areas of the earth and replenishes it, He comes to us through the power of His Spirit to make us whole when we believe. We can pursue knowledge of Him while communing with Him in prayer and through reading the Bible.
3. Sow for yourselves righteousness; reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground, for it is time to seek the LORD, till He comes and rains righteousness on you.
While this verse was directed toward God's people, Israel, in the Old Testament, the call still rings out to the Church to break up her fallow ground, for it is time to seek the LORD.
We are to sow the seeds of righteousness by sharing the Gospel with those around us - God's righteousness is revealed through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe (Romans 3:22). We cannot save ourselves from the coming judgement but can be made right with God by seeking Him and asking for forgiveness of sin.
4. I will make them and the places all around My hill a blessing; and I will cause showers to come down in their season; there shall be showers of blessing.
God's people freely receive blessings from His hand because of His great love towards us. In return, we can be a blessing to others; we can bless friends and family by sharing our time, advice, resources and our friendship. Most importantly, as we sow the seed in sharing the Good News, there will be showers of blessing.
Showers of blessing,
Showers of blessing we need;
Mercy-drops round us are falling,
But for the showers we plead.
5. Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord.
If you have never repented of your sin and turned to the Lord, now is the time! God longs to forgive us our sins and 'blot them out' of His records in order to welcome us into eternal fellowship with Himself.
Come to Jesus Christ today by faith and make Him Lord of your life; He will make all things new and give 'times of refreshing'. Only in His presence do we find lasting peace and joy.
God will revitalize us through His Word as we take time to read each day. We pray for showers of blessing and times of refreshing!
*Request a New Testament through the site in English, Greek or Russian